Keep up with Andrea here:
I was born in 8/5/1974 in Trieste , north Italy, and I start to play at 15 years old. Mostly Heavy/Thrash Metal and Hard Rock influenced my drumming style in the beginning ,but in time I developed the capability of playing every music style from extreme metal to jazz and Latino rhythms attending the Modern Music Academy with the teacher Camillo Colleluori. I can read and write notes and easily adapt to most of the situations. I play double and single Bass drum style and use the Metronome for studio and live performances. I played in many rock, death, black, pop and classic bands and I have a background of more than 350 live performances. Also I am a private teacher and session drummer for live gigs and studio recording.
- 1994-1996: I played with the death metal band Cenotaph and recorded Thirteen Threnodies released in Nov. 1994 by Planet K/Flying records
- 1995: I played percussions and programmed drumming in the Fast/Techno/Industrial album Violent Velvet released by WET music
- 1999-2003: I played with the death metal band Necrosphere. We recorded the albums Mortis Causa (1999) and Revived (2001) released by Die Hard Music
- 2003: I played with the rock band Fuel From Hell. We recorded the promo 666% fuel addicted
- 2007: I played like a session drummer with the band Hell Baron’s Wrath. We recorded the album Inner force released by U.K. Division
- 2004 – present: I play with the alternative band 1neday. We recorded few promo and the album “ Capricorn” release in 23/3/09 by Casket
- 2008 – present: I play with the death metal band Necromega and we record the first promo , coming soon
- 2007 – present: I play with the black metal band Gorthaur’s Wrath and we record the first full length “ Ritual IV”, coming soon
- 2008 – present: I play with the death metal band Imposer and we record one split with the death metal band Unholy ghost released soon for the label Butchered records
- Amazon.com Editorial review: “To break it down, here lies the greatest drummer in metal today. He can play at true break neck speed and not let it just sound uncoordinated”
- Terrorizer U.K: “Rammed full of perfect examples of how death metal should be played….8/10”
- Daredevil Magazine: “Composition are played hyper fast with some astonishing drum work here”
- Rock Hard D: “Totally fresh, yet very brutal sounding, undeniable class!….8/10”
Andrea Janko Interview:
SDM: How old were you when you started playing?
Andrea: I started playing alone when I was 15 years old with a small drum kit that my father bought me.
SDM: Did you play in a school band or any drum corps?
Andrea: Unfortunately in Italy there is no culture to create a school band. In Italy Schools teach music a ‘hours a week and usually, at most ,in this hour just listening to different popular kind of music. The children must go to study in private schools. Really bad.
SDM: Who are your top 5 metal influences?
Andrea: Deep Purple ,Black Sabbath ,Slayer , Morbid Angel and Nile. But is many other bands and drummers in my influence.
SDM: Who are some other of your favorites?
Andrea: All things which made Buddy Rich (!)
SDM: Let us know 5 CD’s that are in your current rotation
Andrea: Slayer – Reign in blood (I think that since he came out I’ve never removed), Origin-Antithesis, Morbid Angel – Covenant, Cannibal Corpse-Evisceration Plague, Black Sabbath –“Black Sabbath”
SDM: What do you do to warm up before a show?
Andrea: I practice with a small practice pad half hour before the show; simple exercises without push too much, a little stretching of the legs and try to relax.
SDM: Do you read music? Regardless of answering yes or no, please tell us how it might have effected your playing?
Andrea: Yes I read music and I think it’s very important. Personally it helped me really understand what I was playing and to discover new exercise in the various books. In addition if I thought of a new fill or a new rhythm, take out my pen, I write on a piece of paper and no risk of forgetting what I have in my mind.
SDM: Can you tell us about the gear you use?
Andrea: Of course, I have 2 drum kit ,Tama and Ddrum, black Panther Mapex snare, UFIP and Zildjian cymbals, Remo head, Axis pedal, Vic Firth 5A exreme and Roland Vdrum.
SDM: If you could give one piece of advice to young drummers, it would be…
Andrea: Practice as much as possible! Always ! And if possible go from one teacher ,maybe only for the first few times but in that way you don’t risk to go ahead with the basic errors. Follow your instinct and always play only what you like not caring what the people think or say.
SDM: Who gave the best live performance you’ve ever seen?
Andrea: There are two that I never forget …. I don’t know if are the best for the perfection of performance but certainly the best on a feeling and energy release, Slayer-south of heaven tour, Morbid Angel-Covenant tour. … these two live shows pulverized me at that Time!
SDM: Aside from drumming, what else do you like to do?
Andrea: I really like reading, watching movies and being with friends …. a few …. but they are good friends!